Months back I gave the gift of a custom made child's dress as an auction prize.
It took quite a bit of back and forth because the winner bought it as a gift, so first I was discussing with him via email, then his daughter via email, then there was the wedding etc. and it all got a bit chaotic.
But, eventually we decided on a dress design, and fabric.
The original fabric was a no-go because the awesome Slytherin at Fabricland told me that it sucked and all the sparkle came off, so I had to make an educated guess and hope that the winner approved.
Thankfully she did.
The chosen fabric was hell. It frayed like a bastard when you so much as looked at it, so I ended ziz zagging along the edges, and them searing them with a lighter to stop the fraying. Then I had issues making the bodice lay flat, but after asking some advice online, the plan was made to under stich it, which worked perfectly.
The bodice and skirt didn't go together as neatly as I had wanted. Next time I shall be constructing it slightly differently in an attempt to make the inside neater. I'll also be using a circle skirt for the base as I prefer how they hang and swirl.
All in all though, I am very pleased with the finished dress, and am waiting impatiently for an email to tell me it has arrived and that she doesn't hate it!!
I do need to learn how to sell stuff though... raising funds for an overlocker is very high on my wants list, but I can't justify using normal household money to save for it as there are many more things that "we" could use rather than something for "me" to use.