This is not the greatest quilt in the world…

This is just non-bunting?

So, last September I was busy making bunting.  I have no clue if I blogged about it, I have no clue what I had for lunch so absolutely no hope of knowing what I posted nearly a year ago.

Anyway... it was The Wedding Pt 2.  Much bunting was needed and after hearing the words "we can just staple the triangles on", I shrieked and said I would do it properly.

What I think was 12315615 miles of bunting later... it was done.

bunting

Stray had been put in charge of cutting out the bajillion triangles required, and just kept cutting until she ran out of fabric.  As a result, I had a shoe box filled with left over triangles.  Masses and masses of triangles.

I then had the glimmer of an idea...

Whilst we were doing The Wedding Pt 1 I noticed loads of different quilts around, rather than the various blankets etc that we seem to have.  Various little matching shapes of fabric left over... a quilt!!!

It's here I should add that I am a moron.

I sew clothes.  The odd toy.  I have never touched a quilt in my life.

My first hurdle was realising what I was actually working with... isosceles triangles.  No squares.  No equilateral triangles.  No hexagons.  No lines of even lengths.

No.  I decided that my first quilt should be made of triangles with one side a different length!

Google and tutorials told me what I suspected... I am a moron.  Don't start with unmatching edges.  Don't start with triangles ffs.

Aaaaanyway... a few tutorials later and it was going together.  It was uneven, partly due to my sewing, and partly due to the triangles not being exact as they were meant to be used as random bunting flags.

I sewed, I unpicked, I learned, I sewed some more, I spent each session yelling at the cat to get away from the quilt being made for the highly allergic.

Eventually I had all these strips to go together.  As each line connected (not all able to match, naturally), it began to look like a quilt.  I began to see the idea that had been in my head.

Adding the wadding, back, and then doing the actual "quilting" was the next task.  The unmatching lines made for wonky stitches which would be obvious from the back.  The lack of hair-free space made for tucks in the back fabric as it wouldn't pin evenly.  But again, as each line was added, it began to look more and more like a real quilt.

As the binding got sewn in place, I began to feel happier.  Yes, it had wonky lines, tucks, weirdy bits, but it was clearly a quilt.  A quilt of the wedding.

I knew that the final touch was to make it personal.  The bunting wasn't enough, it needed names... so, seeing as in the time it took me to sew a new life joined the family, I decided to embroider the back so that it could grow as the family does.  It has Amy and Gary's wedding.  It has Aahana's birth.  It has many blank triangles to add more family as they are added.20160714_223335

It's not perfect.  It has well over 100 hours of work, and much blood, sweat, and tears in it (literally).  But it is made with love, and hope, and happiness, which I feel is what shines out of it.

20160714_200910

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *